February 7, 2018
In Japan, the way of thinking about side jobs is changing.
It became a hot topic that Softbank, Japan ‘s major telecom giant, allowed their workers to do side jobs since November 2017.
■ Why did this movement happen?
There are five main reasons.
- As a Japanese employment system, seniority and lifetime employment are famous, but this system is changing.
- Anxiety about pension.
- Pursuit of diverse lifestyle
- With the spread of nets and tools, it became easier to have side jobs.
・Because it is a shortage of talented people, it also has the aim of recruiting and holding excellent talent by allowing various ways of working.
■ Main side jobs being done in Japan
- Asset management (eg real estate management)
- Utilization of idle assets (eg Airbnb, Anyca) in the sharing economy * UBER is not operating in Japan.
- Second-hand goods sale (example: Amazon Marketplace, Ebay, Mercari, Yahoo auction)
- Internet Talent business, Internet Advertisement business (eg YouTuber, blogger)
- Utilize skills and qualifications (eg translation, interpreting, weekend soccer referee, rafting guide)
■ Side jobs unique to Non-Japanese people
There are an increasing number of Japanese people who start business for overseas / foreigners around me. So, in addition to translation, interpreting, demand for overseas market research etc seems to grow further. Language teachers will be needed more.
Your knowledge and skills are required more and more, but we strongly recommend that you check your employment rules and laws.
There are still many companies banning side jobs under the employment regulations. Please pay attention to VISA, too. If you earn income for operations other than what is stipulated in VISA, it will be regarded as “unauthorized activity” and become illegal here in Japan.
There is no doubt that opportunities are increasing, so follow the rules and get your success.
- Our Response to the Gender Free Policy
- Will the coronavirus change the productivity of Japanese companies?
- To everyone living in Japan, if you don’t want to die, look at the hazard map
- Is an indirect or direct method of learning better for mastering Japanese?
- 8 points to make your trip to Japan more fun
- January 2021
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- November 2017
- October 2017
- July 2017